Many of the car owners have this question in mind that how much a car weighs. And knowing the weight of his or her is very important regarding transporting. The United States Environmental Protection Agency says that the average weight of the car is close to 4,094 pounds. This average has a lot of data inside of it.
You can break it by taking the cars with certain categories. Compact cars weigh around 2,919 pounds, and large cars have a scale of around 3,882 pounds. The range SUVs start from 3,590 pounds for compact SUVs and go all the way up to 5,603 pounds for large SUVs.
This article will mainly run around ten categories of cars and their weights will be highlighted throughout our quest of finding the weight of a car.
Why You Should Know the Weight of a Car – Step by Step GUide
There are various reasons why one should know about the weight of their cars.
- This is basically a universal truth that a small car has a huge disadvantage against the larger and more heavy vehicles. One study shows that every 1000 pounds more weighing vehicles in collusion with smaller cars increases the fatality rate of that small car around 47 percent.
- This is a fact that larger vehicles perform poorly regarding fuel efficiency and have more rate of carbon exposure than smaller ones.
- Certain tools of cars vary according to the weight of the cars. For example, if you want to buy floor jack or jack stand for your car then it is very essential for you to know the weight of your vehicle.
- When you are traveling the word “Payload” is very important because certain roads have rules like this much weight you carry in your car including the passengers and cargo. There are also bridges that do not allow vehicles with heavy loads. And this is why you definitely need to know the weight of your car.
How to Define Car Weight – Step by Step GUide
- The manufacturers basically use the term and this weight type is the weight of the car with all the equipment and tools of it and it is called curb weight. This definition does not go with passengers or cargo.
- GVW is also known by the name Gross Vehicle Weight and this is basically the curb weight including the cargo and the passengers.
- GVWR is basically an extended version of Gross Vehicle Weight. This is also known as the Gross Vehicle Weight Rate. This basically the weight a car can safely carry.
- Payload is basically for the wight type for SUVs and Trucks. These basically all the legal things your SUV or truck can carry including passengers, cargo, etc.
The Weight of a Car
This part is basically the inspection of the weight of different cars by weight. A chart is created and different car models like a smart car, compact, mid-sized to SUV are added in that to inspect the weight of the car regarding all the car types. Hope it will help.
Average weight (Pounds)
Average weight (Tons)
Average weight (Kilograms)
Sub Compact Car
Sub Compact SUV
Half Ton Truck
This table basically shows how different kinds of cars have different weight types. For example, the weight type of smart cars and SUVs are very different. This table also gives three different forms the weight in pounds, in tons and in kilograms.
How much does a Car battery Weight
The very basic question is why knowing the weight of car battery is important. But knowing the weight of car battery is very important. This is because the performance of the vehicle heavily depends on the weight of the car. There is this saying that the greater your battery will weigh the greater it will weigh in totally.
As a result, knowing the weight is important. The car’s swiftness also has a thing with the weight. Because if the car is swift will not be durable and if it is durable it will not be swift. This is why selecting the ideal battery for your car is important and hope this article will help you.
Types of Batteries and Weight of Battery
There are different types of batteries in the market. You need to know the categories of batteries to find your ideal battery for the car.
Light Weight Batteries :
These special types of batteries are basically for small cars with high ambitions. These types of cars basically seek high performance and while selecting your battery keep this in mind that at least your battery provides proper energy in your car. Even if you purchase a battery too small it will weigh around 10 to 20 pounds.
Standard Batteries :
These types of batteries are very ideal for your everyday car. You can say it is also a very common type that is used by car owners. These type of batteries weighs around 40 to 60 pounds.
Empty Battery :
Transferring an empty battery will definitely reduce some weight. The remaining weight will basically depend on how it was before. An empty battery may weigh around 12 to 15 pounds but this also can be changed as lighter batteries weigh around 5 to 7 pounds.
Standardized Sized Battery Types
When the issue regarding replacing your car battery then you definitely should know the type of battery in your car. A car battery depends on some features like starting current and capacity.
These features also ask for other features like electrodes. And these dimensional features vary from one and another as there are different types of standard-sized cars.
Asian battery is very different from European or American batteries. They have a very different appearance regarding size and features. Regarding the placement of this battery, it is placed in the same level as the cap. The hight of the shell is a bit higher but not that long as it appears. Lastly, this type of battery has a particular fixed way of remaining under the hood.
European standard car batteries are very different than other types of batteries. Mainly European manufactured cars have these particular types of batteries. It is very easy to recognize a European battery by leads of the battery as they are buried in the cap.
American standard batteries are different from Asian batteries in size but American and European types are more or less the same size. But still, you will find a couple of differences regarding features. As American batteries have side leads that are situated on the longest sides of the battery.
As a car owner you need to be aware with weight of the car and also the battery. Both of these knowledges are necessary and important and this is why the article mainly focuses on the weight of both the car and car battery for An Automotive Expert.